December 29th, 2015
By The DAHLC
We wanted to share with you 9 facts about Reiki and how this form of relaxation is used throughout the world. Reiki is alternative therapy that uses gentle touch to help relax enabling the body systems to move into a state of balance and harmony.
1. At a research study on the effects of Reiki done at Hartford Hospital:
- 86% of patients reported improved sleep
- 78% of patients reported reduced pain
- 80% of patients reported reduced nausea
- 94% of pregnant women reported reduced anxiety during pregnancy
2. Over 800 hospitals incorporate Reiki into their roster of patient services
- They often use their own Reiki-trained physicians, nurses and support staff.
3. Mayo Clinic volunteer services offers Reiki for both hospital and clinic patients.
- Patients are assessed for pain, nausea, anxiety, before and after receiving a Reiki session.
4. Reiki is offered in the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center as a experiential educational experience.
5. Reiki was used in operating rooms as early as the mid-90’s
6. Reiki is listed in the Holistic Nursing “Scope and Standards of Practice” as an accepted form of care
7. At Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York
- Reiki and other subtle energy techniques were used in the operating room during open heart surgeries and heart transplants
- Of the 11 heart patients who received Reiki:None experienced the usual postoperative depression:
- The bypass patients had no postoperative pain or leg weakness
- The transplant patients experienced no organ rejection
8. A Reiki station was setup to treat fire fighters and first responders at Ground Zero during the efforts that followed after the 9/11 tragedy
9. Professional sports teams employ Reiki practitioners to help athletes recover more quickly from surgery and/or injuries and to enhance performance